Friday, December 11, 2009

What's Modern: Layout

I've been thinking about the layout for my quilt. I had an idea in mind from the start but now I think I've changed my mind. Of course, the layout I want to try will take longer so I might not get it finished before the end of the year. But I'm going to try really hard to finish it before then.

Anyway, I wanted to share some of the quilts that have been providing me inspiration over the past month.

These quilts use blocks in rows to create a dramatic layout. I really love the simplicity of blocks in rows, especially off center or vertical.

These quilts use rows of blocks with some fantastic boarders and sashing. I was originally going to use Jacquie's quilt as inspiration for my layout. I like the double row of blocks paired with sashing and solids. Very nice!

But then I saw Ashley's quilt the other day and it got me thinking. I really love random groupings of blocks in quilts. The feeling is so modern to me, so dramatic. I've been searching flickr for days to find an example of a quilt that paired traditional blocks with multiple boarders and random layouts...but I've come up with nothing. So, that's my plan because I want to see how it'll turn out.

So, do you have a favorite "modern" quilt? What type of layouts appeal to you the most? Feel free to link to a picture so we can all see.
blog comments powered by Disqus